Senior Legal Counsel
Role: Permanent/ Full-time
Team: Banking & Finance, Corporate Lending and Asset Finance team
Salary: Competitive + Bonus + Benefits
WFH: Hybrid model, 3 days per week office-based
Direct Reports: N/A
About the Role:
As the Senior Legal Counsel, you will operate with a high degree of autonomy and help develop strategies and approaches to managing legal and regulatory risks consistent with the Bank’s strategic vision, goals and values.
You will advise on a broad range of finance and commercial documentation and support the execution in accordance with internal requirements policies and external regulations. You will also work closely with senior stakeholders of the Bank to assist in the development of bank policies and procedures in order to migrate legal risks.
A knowledge of trade finance will be very helpful for this position as you will deal with the bank’s trade finance department on a regular basis.
In conjunction with the senior management team, you will play a significant role in contributing to the development of important and complex projects often acting as a subject matter expert and driving understanding and identification of legal issues.
The Senior Legal Counsel will identify current and anticipating future legal, regulatory and other risks to the enterprise regarding the loan product, loan execution and related matters across EMEA.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
· Review and negotiate new and existing banking and finance documentation associated with financing for various business stakeholders in the EMEA region.
· Review, draft and negotiate new and existing trade finance documentation for various business stakeholders in the EMEA region.
· Advising and liaising with business, operational and back office teams on legal issues, structuring, documenting and negotiating treasury and capital market transactions.
· Monitoring and advising on regulatory matters affecting loans and derivatives, eg bail-in¸ EMIR and related regulations.
· Preparing and delivering training taking into account Risks, changes to law / ensuring consistency across the firm in understanding and mitigation of such risks; and upskilling staff.
· Be proactive in raising and escalating important legal issues and risks with relevant levels of management.
· Proactively contribute to the development of the bank and actively work for the elimination of legal risk.
· Assist and lead various regional projects as and when required by the business.
Skills, Qualifications and Knowledge:
· Qualified lawyer or similar qualification.
· As a rough guide at least 8 years of post-qualification experience.
· Solid experience in a broad range of general banking and finance and trade finance products which has been gained at a reputable law firm or reputable financial or other institution.
· Experience in industry derivatives documentation and regulatory matters is beneficial but not essential for this role.
· A thorough understanding of banking policies, procedures and products.
· Strong expertise with market standard loan documentation.
· Strong expertise in drafting documentation.
· The ability to build good interpersonal relationships with stakeholders and to be a team player.
· To be able to able to manage and direct the legal aspects of the legal department's work to bank-wide project committees.
· To be open and approachable and operate with a high degree of autonomy.
Bruin recognises the positive value of diversity, and aims to promote equality and challenge unfair discrimination. As a champion of equal opportunity employment we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons – men and women, people of all ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions and beliefs. We particularly encourage applications from women, disabled, and Black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates as these groups are underrepresented throughout the financial services industry. Our clients work with us because they value a diverse workforce, and subscribe to our shared principle that all appointments are made on merit and that ability to perform the job will be the primary consideration.
Ref: 35839 Our client a leading global investment management firm is seeking a UK qualified legal counsel with fluent German...
Ref: 35821 VP Legal Counsel - Structured Finance Role: Permanent/ Full-time Team: Structured Finance Team Location: London Salary:...
Ref: 35752 Paralegal - Funds Location: London Team: Legal Role: Permanent/ Full-time Salary: Competitive + Bonus + Benefits WFH: Hybrid working model. Reporting...